The Freelancer (simply titled "Freelancer") is the player character of Anthem.
Players can choose from "multiple genders" for their pilot. The hair and face can be customized, but not the body. Pre-set appearance options are available. Some of the "lighter" Javelin suits will have their in-game appearance adjusted based on the chosen gender. However, the pilot will rarely be seen in-game. Players can have up to three Freelancer pilots per account.
The Freelancer is, as their name suggests, a member of the Freelancers. They have a pre-game backstory, and are the focus of the game's narrative. Per the game's dialogue system, players have some level of control over how the Freelancer behaves, but this isn't open-ended (Freelancers are expected to act like Freelancers).
Prior to development, the Freelancer was intended to have a character progression system utilizing levels separate from Javelins. The perks chosen would affect the Javelin's stats (e.g. allowing it to fly longer). The pilot had a maximum level they could reach.
- The Freelancer appears to be short in stature, especially in a Ranger next to a Sentinel or in a Colossus next to a Scar Enforcer. This means that, like Haluk, the Freelancer needs a custom-built javelin to compensate for their size.
- ↑ GameInformer: Flying To A New Frontier
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Electronic Arts - THE FIVE BIGGEST TAKEAWAYS ABOUT ANTHEM FROM PAX WEST 2018
- ↑ IGN - ANTHEM: EARLY FORT TARSIS GAMEPLAY
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 IGN - WE KNOW 135 MORE FACTS ABOUT ANTHEM
- ↑ Game Informer - Exclusive Impressions Of Anthem's Gameplay
- ↑ IGN - E3 2018: ANTHEM IS BIOWARE'S WHOLE NEW WORLD
- ↑ Kotaku - Anthem's NPCs Are A Radical Shift For Bioware