Courage to bring silence when the Anthem sings.
Faith to keep my word and the word of my brethren.
Trust that the free answer when called.
Strong Alone, Stronger Together."
Members of the Freelancers are sometimes called "lancers" as shorthand.
The Freelancers are not technically a military organization. They are a ragtag group that carries on the tradition of the Legion of Dawn, protecting the people of Fort Tarsis from the dangers of the outside world. They traditionally operate in squads of four (one different Javelin per squad member). While the Sentinels stay close to Fort Tarsis, Freelancers are tasked with venturing beyond the fort to deal with more esoteric threats. They venerate Helena Tarsis.
After the death of Helena Tarsis, the Legion of Dawn splintered into three factions. The Freelancers were one of these three, alongside the Sentinels and Dominion. Using their Javelins, the Freelancers were able to safeguard humanity, who built new cities and a new civilization. The Dominion remain the ancient enemy of the Freelancers. The two groups remain in conflict.
The Freelancers were sent to shut down the Heart of Rage Cataclysm, formed in the aftermath of the Battle of Freemark. The attempt ended in disaster, and suffering heavy losses, the Freelancers were forced to retreat in disgrace. Since then, the Freelancers are no longer revered as heroes, and have been forced to scrounge a living by taking mundane contracts throughout Bastion, trying to redeem themselves. However, for all the glories of their past, their current deeds don't give them the same level of reverence they once did. In this period, they moved against the Dominion, as their attempted activation of Shaper relics was putting everyone at risk. To make matters worse, an invasive force known as Scars were also after the technology. The Freelancers are still contracted for various tasks by the factions that operate within Fort Tarsis, but they fiercely retain their independence.
- Faye Navine (cypher, affiliated)
- Haluk (mechanic)
- Lucky Jak (record keeper)
- Owen Corley (cypher, affiliated)
- Prospero (forge keeper)
- "The Freelancer" (player character)
- There is evidence that Freelancers are paid for their services; statements from Owen reference bonuses and hazard pay.
- Freelancers have been described as "part explorer and part knight."
- It was originally stated that the Freelancers were uniquely qualified to pilot Javelins.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 IGN - 19 MINUTES OF ANTHEM GAMEPLAY (WITH DEVELOPER COMMENTARY) IN 4K
- ↑ YouTube - Strongholds and Interceptor Javelin Gameplay – Anthem Developer Livestream - December 20
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Electronic Arts - THE FIVE BIGGEST TAKEAWAYS ABOUT ANTHEM FROM PAX WEST 2018
- ↑ Electronic Arts - YOU ARE A DESCENDENT OF THE LEGION OF DAWN IN ANTHEM
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Game Informer - Flying to a New Frontier: How Anthem Explores a Different Kind of Story
- ↑ IGN - ANTHEM: EARLY FORT TARSIS GAMEPLAY
- ↑ Games Radar - Everything you need to know about the Anthem story, lore, characters and factions
- ↑ Electronic Arts - THE DOMINION IS COMING, AND ONLY YOU CAN STAND AGAINST THEM
- ↑ IGN - ANTHEM GAMEPLAY DEMO - IGN LIVE E3 2018
- ↑ Kotaku - Everything We Know About BioWare's Anthem
- ↑ IGN - ANTHEM: EVERYTHING WE LEARNED AFTER 20 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY
- ↑ Electronic Arts - THE MAJOR FACTIONS YOU’LL ENCOUNTER IN ANTHEM
- ↑ Anthem Twitter - Freelancers are uniquely skilled to pilot Javelin exosuits.