Combat Equipment, sometimes called Loadout Equipment, are items that can be equipped for combat when outside Fort Tarsis. They are used to build javelins to suit the playstyle of any freelancer. Each ally and enemy found in the wilderness of Northern Bastion, except for Arcanists, has a combat loadout using these equipment.
Currently, there are a total of more than 300 combat equipment available to the players in game, disregarding their rarity (i.e., only items with unique names are considered), but not all of them can be obtained, as some are limited by how they can be obtained, whereas some are unreleased. These items can be equipped in the Forge by going into the Loadout Tab after selecting the appropriate javelin.
Combat Equipment are not only used by the Freelancer, but they are used by all factions. They are used by all sentient non-Elemental species of Coda. Certain Fauna are weaponized by enemy factions, which, in a way behaves like combat equipment. Factions not only decorate their icons on their members, but also use their colors on the equipment that belong to them. Types of Combat Equipment Used:
- Javelins: Apart from the lancers of Bastion, the Dominion, Scars, Outlaws and regulators are known to use javelins.
- Weapons: Hand held guns are not only used by javelin’s lancers, but also minor enemies.
- Gear: Gears are non-gun type weapons that cannot do melee or close combat damage to enemies. They are also used by Javelin pilots and minor enemies.
- Melee Weapons: These are close combat weapons that almost all non-elemental type sentient enemies and allies use. Usually, in the case of enemies, they simply strike with their handheld guns. Valkyrie and Elementalist type javelins aren’t shown using melee weapons.
- Support: Support are shielding items or those that help allies to perform better during combat. Not all enemies have supports.
- Components: Components are combat items that are used only by javelins to improve their performances.
- Ultimate: Ultimate Abilities are only used by javelins. They are said to be the abilities that a javelin can unleash when the right time is reached.
- Consumables: These are combat prowess enhancing items that last only for one expedition. They are currently only used by the javelins of bastion.
- Shield Generator: This is only used by the Dominion. It can generate kinetic shields for enemies and disable flight for enemies of the Dominion.
- Turrets: Turrets are additional equipment used by enemies to fortify their presence. Allies aren’t seen using them during combat, but they are used to protect settlements.
- Weaponized Creatures: These are creatures fitted with machines that make them menacing than what they already are. These are only ever seen used by the Dominion. Pirates of Blood Wind faction which was supposed to arrive with the new build of Anthem, were also supposed to have weaponized creatures like Wyverns.
- Weaponized Striders: Striders can be fitted with heavy ammunitions to make them into chaotic, but slow, war machines. These are only ever employed during times of war, and not during small battles or skirmishes.
- Tanks: Tanks are large equipment, usually used only by Scars. Although, not nearly as large as striders, Scar Tanks are devastating and almost exclusively used by Luminaries. Sometimes, Escari are seen using them as well.
- Explosives: Bombs, mines, and explosives are used by allies and enemies alike during combat.
- Elemental Containers: These are fire or ice or lightning type explosives that are stored in containers on combat fields.
- Acid Containers: These are containers that release a mist of acid when detonated.
To see how what each enemy uses as combat equipment, visit their individual page.
Combat Equipment Types
- 1 Gear 1 Slot
- 1 Gear 2 Slot
- 1 Support Slot
- 1 Melee Weapon Slot
- 2 Weapons Slots (Guns only)
- 6 Components Slot
- 3 Consumable Slots
Methods to Obtain
Combat Equipment are very versatile and can be obtained in many different ways:
- Available by default in the Forge
- Rewards that drop as loot.
- Purchase them in the Crafting Store which sells cosmetics exclusively
- Purchase in the Seasonal Store through War Chests
- By Crafting with the help of Blueprints
- As Guardians' Gifts when visiting a tomb of a Legionnaire in Northern Bastion
- Obtain through promotional methods and claim them in the rewards tab of the store
Trivia (May Contain Spoilers)
- Each combat equipment has a unique design except for gears.
- Lower level and upgraded gears share the same design, regardless of how different they are. A notorious example is the case of Pulse Blast and its 3 upgraded forms Fist of the Mountain, Avenger's Boon, and Relentless Pursuit.
- Lower level and upgraded guns share the same base form, but have unique coloration and Gear 1 on them that help them distinguish between them easily.
- Several unreleased combat equipment for the player were data mined in the game. Some of these were also acknowledged by the developers. However, they were never released because they hadn’t been balanced before the end of Anthem’s development cycle.
List of Combat Equipment on Types
Only the names are mentioned here. For details of individual types and varieties in those types, select the appropriate item. For convenience, consumables and unobtainable items are mentioned atthe end.