Anthem is an open world action role-playing multiplayer shooter developed by BioWare's Edmonton studio and published by Electronic Arts. It will run on EA's proprietary Frostbite engine (Frostbite 4) for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows; it has been confirmed to run in 4K on the Xbox One X. The game is scheduled to release February 22, 2019, while a demo will release on February 1.
- OS: 64-bit Windows 10
- Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 or AMD FX-6350
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, AMD R9 390 8GB
- Hard Drive: At least 60 GB of free space
In Anthem™, a new game from EA's BioWare studio, explore a landscape of primeval beauty, confront the dangers you find, and grow in power with every step.
According to myth, "the gods vanished," and left the world in chaos. Now, the Anthem is all that remains. In this futuristic, dystopian world, humanity has been isolated behind the protective wall of Fort Tarsis, shielded from the many dangers of the primeval lands beyond. Players act as Freelancers – a group of courageous individuals dedicated to protecting the people of Fort Tarsis from threats outside the wall. The Freelancers are in conflict with the Dominion, who are trying to use a powerful force called the Anthem Of Creation as a weapon.
In this shared world, squads of up to four players embark on expeditions outside the wall of Fort Tarsis, discovering the many hidden mysteries and unforeseen dangers that lie beyond. With their powered Javelin exosuits, Freelancers can explore uncharted areas from the air, on ground and beneath water, with each suit fulfilling a unique playstyle and combat role. While exploring the outside world, Freelancers may also bear witness to world-changing events such as shaper storms, or encounter unanticipated dangers such as savage beasts and ruthless marauders. Events are divided into tiers.
The game features a dynamic weather system, so some creatures will be more or less prevalent depending on the weather.
Fort Tarsis acts as a player hub, where Freelancers can interact with one another, upgrade their equipment, and acquire new quests. When in the fort, the player assumes a first-person perspective until deployment; however, exploration and combat outside the wall happens from a third-person perspective. Every player has their own home base.
The game can be played in both singleplayer and multiplayer modes, though every player will be affected by events in the latter. The game requires an online connection to play, and does not feature couch co-op. All of Anthem is equipped with a matchmaking system. The game does not feature voice communication. PvP will not be featured at launch, and there is no plans to implement it post-launch, but this is open to change. There is also no friendly fire mechanic. While players can play the game solo, there are some enemies that can only be taken down by a team. AI companions will not feature. Players will make choices in the campaign that will alter their relationship with allies and rival factions. Gameplay will be balanced slightly if one is playing by themselves, but the game's difficulty is scaled to the assumption of one playing as part of a squad of four.
While the game has a climax and conclusion in terms of plot, the game will continue after that.
Romances will not feature, as player relationships with NPCs are focused more on comradeship. However, it has been stated that a romance system could be added post-launch. Conversations with NPCs will be more limited when compared to past BioWare games, but relationships can still be shaped based on how the player interacts with them. Regardless of how a relationship with an NPC changes, content will not be locked off.
The game cannot be paused; bringing up a menu will not halt the game.
The game will have emotes and a colorblind mode.
In-game currency and crafting mechanics feature, as does loot. Loot will be divided into five or six levels, based on rarity. The quality of item drops depends on pilot level. Even if a player is paired up with higher leveled players, the loot that drops will still correspond to their level. Some loot is drop-specific in regards to enemies. Loot is instanced, and spawned for everyone; one player can't steal another's loot. Loot is "biased" towards the Javelin the player is using when they find it. The tiers of loot are organized as follows:
Some crafting materials can be bought from merchants.
The game will not have lootboxes, but cosmetic-only microtransactions will be present. With the exception of the Legion of Dawn cosmetics, all cosmetics can be earned in-game without microtransactions.
Development on Anthem began in 2012, after the release of Mass Effect 3. Originally, Anthem was reported under the codename "Dylan", with BioWare stating they were aiming to create "the Bob Dylan of video games – one that would be referenced for years to come". On 10 June 2017, an official teaser for the game was released during EA's EA Play pre-E3 press conference. The following day, pre-alpha 4K gameplay footage running in real-time on the Xbox One X was showcased at E3 2017. The development team behind the game is the largest in BioWare's history.
The PC and console versions were developed for simultaniously.
The game is rumored to be EA's response to social-action video game franchises such as Activision's Destiny and Ubisoft's The Division. In an earnings report in May 2017, EA CEO Andrew Wilson had the following to say in regard to Anthem:
The lack of PvP was intentional, as it allowed the developers to be more broad with gear and armor without having to worry about balance. The use of first person in hubs such as Fort Tarsis was done to convey their claustraphonic feel. The lack of AI companions in the field is due to the game's verticality; game AI was not advanced enough to account for these obstacles.
The original soundtrack of Anthem will be composed by Los Angeles-based composer Ted Reedy.
The game will receive post-launch content, but will not have a season pass. Post-launch content will include more story content and new game spaces. BioWare is open to adding holiday-themed content post-release. As of June 2018, BioWare had not stated whether this will include paid DLC.
There is currently no plan for cross-platform play.
During development, members of the team come together on Fridays (dubbed "Anthem Fridays") to discuss various elements of the game.
Marketing and Release Edit
BioWare Edmonton teased the game at E3 2014. Anthem was officially teased during EA's EA Play pre-E3 press conference on June 10, 2017. Gameplay was demonstrated for the first time during Microsoft's E3 press conference, the next day running on Xbox One X.
It is set to be released in late 2018 for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. According to Patrick Söderlund, EA's vice president, BioWare plans to support the game with new content and updates long after the game's official release, and that its launch will be "the start of maybe a 10-year journey" for BioWare. 
There is a demo coming out soon. 
According to YouTube, Anthem was the eighth most viewed game of E3 2017. Following the event, Anthem placed third for IGN's Best of E3 People's Choice Award, ranking behind Marvel's Spider-Man and Super Mario Odyssey.
- BioWare Game Director Jonathan Warner has revealed that the name "Anthem" was chosen due to the unifying nature of the word:
- The frame rate for the PC version will not be blocked. It can be played with a controller.
- It has been indicated that the game will reference BioWare's other franchises.
- The game will possibly receive tie-in merchandise.
- The game's genre has explicitly been referred to as science fantasy rather than science fiction. The developers have compared it to comic books (such as the Marvel universe) in this sense, along with distinguishing it from the more science-focused Mass Effect series.
- There will be no nudity in the game.
Pre-order bonuses include the following:
- VIP Access to Pre-launch Demos
- Four Legendary Armour Packs
- A Legendary Weapon
- Founder Player Banner
- Ranger Javelin Gear Attachment
- Anthem Digital Soundtrack
These bonuses are included in the Legion of Dawn special edition.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Kotaku - Anthem Launches February 22
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Kotaku - Anthem's NPCs Are A Radical Shift For Bioware
- ↑ IGN - ANTHEM'S CLOSED ALPHA BEGINS SOON, REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
- ↑ PC Gamer - Anthem's closed alpha system requirements are here
- ↑ YouTube – Anthem Official Teaser Trailer
- ↑ YouTube - Anthem Official Cinematic Trailer (2018)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 YouTube – Anthem Official Gameplay Reveal
- ↑ Kotaku - Everything We Know About BioWare's Anthem
- ↑ IGN - ANTHEM GAMEPLAY DEMO - IGN LIVE E3 2018
- ↑ 10.00 10.01 10.02 10.03 10.04 10.05 10.06 10.07 10.08 10.09 10.10 10.11 10.12 10.13 10.14 10.15 10.16 10.17 IGN - WE KNOW 135 MORE FACTS ABOUT ANTHEM
- ↑ Twitter – @Bio_Warner
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 IGN - ANTHEM WILL NOT HAVE PVP AT LAUNCH, WILL REQUIRE ONLINE CONNECTION
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 GameSpot - E3 2018: BioWare's Anthem Shows An Exciting New Direction For The Studio
- ↑ Eurogamer - On Twitter, BioWare better details Anthem's blend of storytelling and multiplayer
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 IGN - ANTHEM AMA: BIOWARE ANSWERS YOUR BIGGEST QUESTIONS
- ↑ IGN - E3 2018: ANTHEM WILL NOT FEATURE ROMANCES
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Electronic Arts - THE FIVE BIGGEST TAKEAWAYS ABOUT ANTHEM FROM PAX WEST 2018
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 GameSpot - Anthem Executive Producer Spills Plenty Of New Details About The Game
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Game Informer - Flying to a New Frontier: How Anthem Explores a Different Kind of Story
- ↑ Kotaku – The Story Behind Mass Effect: Andromeda's Troubled Five-Year Development
- ↑ YouTube – Live @ EA Play
- ↑ YouTube – Xbox E3 2017 Briefing
- ↑ Game Informer - BioWare's Biggest Challenges In Creating Anthem
- ↑ Seeking Alpha – Electronic Arts (EA) Q4 2017 Results
- ↑ PC Gamer – BioWare's Anthem Will Get a Beta, Director Says
- ↑ Twitter – @Bio_Warner
- ↑ IGN - ANTHEM: STORY DLC WILL BE FREE
- ↑ US Gamer - Anthem Interview: How BioWare's Live Service Action Game Will Evolve to Meet Player Demands
- ↑ IGN – E3 2017: BioWare Reveals New Project, Anthem
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 GameSpot – E3 2017: BioWare's Anthem Confirmed For PS4, Xbox One, PC; Release Date Set For 2018
- ↑ EuroGamer – Anthem Coincidentally the Start of "a 10-Year Journey" For EA and BioWare
- ↑ https://www.gamespot.com/articles/anthem-vip-demo-details-revealed-heres-how-to-acce/1100-6463836
- ↑ YouTube Trends – Which Game Won E3? Views Are In
- ↑ IGN – Best of E3 2017 Awards
- ↑ YouTube – Anthem Developer Interview
- ↑ Game Informer - Exclusive Impressions Of Anthem's Gameplay
- ↑ IGN - UPDATE: WE KNOW 161 MORE FACTS ABOUT ANTHEM
- ↑ EB Games - Anthem: Legion of Dawn Edition
<ref> tag with name "anthem-basic" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.
<ref> tag with name "anthem_delayed_to_2019" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.